Cannabis is a booming industry in Massachusetts. Sales have consistently been high, and the cannabis market reached about $1.5 billion in 2021. For this reason, there is a lot of opportunity for cannabis businesses to continue to grow and expand in the years to come. However, despite the interest in the product, there are several things to know about cannabis marketing in Massachusetts. If you are a cannabis business and want to market your products, here are some things to keep in mind.
Is Cannabis Legal in Massachusetts?
In 2016, Massachusetts voted to legalize recreational marijuana use. As a result, hundreds of recreational cannabis dispensaries have popped up in the years since. The sheer number of dispensaries demonstrates the interest in cannabis and provides a marker for potential success in the market. However, just because it is legal in the state does not mean there is free reign in marketing and advertising. There are specific advertising and marketing limitations to keep in mind in the cannabis industry, particularly as it becomes even more regulated in the years to come.
Before you consider marketing your cannabis business in Massachusetts, several limitations exist. Rather than being able to post whatever you want using specific mediums, always ensure your marketing efforts comply with state regulatory laws. If you’re unsure about the process, Rose & Gold can help navigate the confusion and provide clarity on the process of cannabis marketing in Massachusetts. Some of the limitations include:
- Ensure people access your website over the age of 21
- Only advertise to a target audience where 85% are 21 or older. This includes billboards, television, Internet, mobile, and social media ads
- Do not use cartoon images that may attract a younger audience
- Always ensure your packaging is child-resistant.
- Do not use language about medical claims about marijuana
- Avoid neon, bright colors, and other choices that might be attractive to children and minors
- No giveaways or cannabis freebies
- Do not advertise cannabis products on clothing or other merchandise
- Proper warnings on products
These guidelines are not exhaustive. To learn more, visit the Massachusetts Cannabis Control.
Cannabis Marketing in Massachusetts: How To
Are you a cannabis business in Massachusetts? Want guidance and support marketing your products in the Bay State? Our team at Rose & Gold has extensive experience with growing cannabis brands, and we know how to do it the right way. Email email@example.com to get started.